Saturday, February 7, 2009

Happy Birthday Colt


Colt is turning 1 this week and I still can't wrap my head around the fact that it's already been a year since he was born. Even though he is only 1, God has used Colt in so many ways to grow me physically, spiritually, emotionally, and mentally.

As I consider all the changes I've seen Colt make this year it has dawned on me how much I've changed. It's as if motherhood has changed who I am as a person and I never realized the depth of that change. From my tiny clutch purse to my huge diaper bag, from taking an hour to get ready to 15 minutes of prep time while Colt plays with my toes; everything about my life has changed.

I think back to before Colt was born, I was not like most pregnant women. I dreaded the change that a baby would bring. I shuddered to think about giving up "me" time and always focusing on another person. I have heard the many cliches and isms below before. But, unexpectedly, through Colt's growth, surgery and changes they have become my lessons this year.

- I have learned that I am a much stronger woman than I thought I was.
- I have learned that no matter how sick or tired I am, when I hear his cry I have the strength to take care of him.
- I've learned that being a good mother makes me a better wife and friend.
- I've learned how much it hurts to correct your child, especially when they cry at you.
- I've learned I can control my temper because little eyes and ears are watching (... well, I am still working on this one.)
- I've learned how important it is to have other people in your life to share experiences with.
- I've learned how little sleep I truly need.
- I've learned the true meaning of sacrifice.
- I've learned that when you love someone you don't consider the things you give up as sacrifices because your love seems greater than what you are giving up.
- I've learned how amazing God is.
- I've learned how much I need God to be a good mom and wife.
- I've learned how important a strong marriage is to your child
- I've learned I would do anything to protect my child.

The greatest of all the things I've learned in the past year is that no matter what has happened in my day, coming home and hearing "mama" is in fact the best sound in the world.

Colt is turning 1 and after looking back at all I have learned in the last year, I can't wait to see what the next year holds! HAPPY BIRTHDAY COLT!

3 comments:

  1. I love all the things you have learn this past year...you arwe amazing women Holly Wallace and mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks sweetie, you are pretty great yourself

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...that made me almost tear up! It is great to see how Colt has strengthened and grown you. I am excited to see what God will be doing in your life now that you'll have more time to be with him. You are a great encourager and example Ms. Holly Wallace!

    ReplyDelete