Monday, February 16, 2009

Times Are Changing

I realized tonight, when I got home from work, how different my life is now that I have a child. Before Colt, my nights looked extremely different. I used to be able to work until I was done and then pick up fast food with Michael on the way home. Or, we could knock off work early and head out on a date for the evening, getting home whenever we were tired.

As it is, we have to leave work by 5:30 so that we can pick up Colt and get home by 6:15. When we get home we head to our specific corners. Michael gets Colt from the car and takes him in to change his diaper from the car ride and inevitable "car ride" poop. He then takes off his clothes in preparation of my end of the corner and distracts him with books.

While Michael is doing those things I am busily unpacking the cooler from FCLC and getting Colt's dinner going. Since he is a growing boy he can't have just anything, it needs to be balanced, colorful and healthy. While Colt's dinner is in the works I am sweeping around the kitchen preparing tomorrow's lunch, cleaning out the diaper bag, replacing the items that were used during the day. Like packing more socks, shoes, pants, shirts, diapers and snacks for the next day's activities.

Once I have finished those things Colt's food is done cooking and ready to be served. I get him seated and fed. While he eats, Michael and I get our food ready to eat. Hopefully this is fast enough that Colt is still eating when we sit down to eat. Once dinner is over, I distract and play with Colt while Michael cleans the kitchen.

This takes us to 7:10, and it is time for a bath. We get upstairs to put Colt in his bath and then to his room for pj's. This takes us to 7:25 and there is just enough time to read 2 books, say our prayers and put Colt to bed.

No longer do we enjoy relaxing evenings or spontanious nights out. Moreoever, we will get up tomorrow and do the whole thing over again ... but I wouldn't change a thing!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, Holly! THIS IS OUR LIFE TOO! Such a schedule they have us on, and you dare not stray from it! Love your blog by the way. Keep posting! I'm going to add you to my list of blogs to read on my 2 blogs. :) Check out Gabriel's blog if you get a chance. (gabrielfreeland.blogspot.com)

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete